I'm sure this is not your typical planted tank :) - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.  

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > PLANTED TANKS > Planted Tank Photos
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planted Tank Photos Let's see what you got! Show off your tanks here. Tank journals are encouraged!

Old 03-17-2009, 01:18 AM   #1
svtcontour

Feedback Score: (0)
svtcontour is on a distinguished road
Default I'm sure this is not your typical planted tank :)

...its the best I can do to keep plants alive. I prefer tanks that are not too brightly light up because I suspect that in the fish's natural habitat, the sun does not shine so bright in the water. Anyway this is the setup and I think the fish like it

svtcontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2009, 02:46 AM   #2
Calmer
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (10)
Calmer will become famous soon enough

Okay I have been looking at the tank pictures for quite a while and I like it. The chaos of the roots in the water contrasts nicely with the pothos ivy growing on the outside. It has a very natural look about it. The fish must never get bored swimming and playing together amongst all of the roots. The tank water probably is pristine with the ivy taking in a lot of nutrients. The ivy also purifies the air in the room as well. No need for co2 injection to grow plants as it is already in the air and water. Algae would be non existent. A very low maintenance tank and plant - just add water.
Calmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:19 AM   #3
Prodicus

Feedback Score: (3)
Prodicus is on a distinguished road

Nice tank!
2 wpg - no ferts, no co2
Prodicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:40 AM   #4
pat3612
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (10)
pat3612 is on a distinguished road

I think thats neat, what a good idea, I bet those fish are happy. Nice fish by the way.
pat3612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:45 AM   #5
Grafix Ink.

Grafix Ink. is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Grafix Ink. Send a message via Yahoo to Grafix Ink.

wow... like it alot...
Grafix Ink. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
svtcontour

Wow you were bang on with everything you said. Impressive

The fish do love it, they dart through the roots while chasing each other (mostly the congos) and I can tell they like doing that as they could easily just go where there are no roots but they shoot straight for them.

Water quality has gotten way better since the plants went in and of course I dont need any crazy lighting to keep them alive (only a single 40w flourescent is enough) and like you said, not a spec of algae Incredibly low maintenance.

PS. The plants I've had for about 5 years. There are more of them in my 47 gallon...I had to take some out of this tank because it was getting to be too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmer View Post
Okay I have been looking at the tank pictures for quite a while and I like it. The chaos of the roots in the water contrasts nicely with the pothos ivy growing on the outside. It has a very natural look about it. The fish must never get bored swimming and playing together amongst all of the roots. The tank water probably is pristine with the ivy taking in a lot of nutrients. The ivy also purifies the air in the room as well. No need for co2 injection to grow plants as it is already in the air and water. Algae would be non existent. A very low maintenance tank and plant - just add water.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:35 AM   #7
svtcontour

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I really like doing the tanks this way..for about 5-6 years I've been doing this and it makes the water quality much better. You dont need to add this many plants to keep the water quality good either, I just like the look of it this way. I find even a single vine helps tons
Old 03-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #8
JamesG
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (2)
JamesG will become famous soon enough

Great tank! Second thing to come to mind is that it would make a great shrimp tank. With all of those roots twisting around you give them lots of space to graze and not be in a constant territory battle. Also, the excellent water clarity gives you a better view of your creatures.

This sure beats having duckweed for the "I have no algae because I also have plants that are getting CO2 from the air not just water" coefficient.

210G Heavily Planted South American/Mixed Community
75G Mixed African Cichlids
15G Dwarf Cichlid grow out tank
20G x 3, 10G: Shrimp Tanks: RCS, Glass Shrimp
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
Chris S

Feedback Score: (21)
Chris S is a jewel in the rough

I like it, looks great!
Chris S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:24 AM   #10
svtcontour

Thats a great idea. I might just have to get some shrimp down the road. I'm planning on getting a 220G or larger sometime later this year so once I do that, I'll add some shrimp. I just hope the congos and clown loach wont nibble on the little guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
Great tank! Second thing to come to mind is that it would make a great shrimp tank. With all of those roots twisting around you give them lots of space to graze and not be in a constant territory battle. Also, the excellent water clarity gives you a better view of your creatures.

This sure beats having duckweed for the "I have no algae because I also have plants that are getting CO2 from the air not just water" coefficient.