how quickly do mystery snails grow ? - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.  

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Invertebrates
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Invertebrates Who you calling a shrimp!?

Old 05-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
Fishfur
GTAA Premium Member

Feedback Score: (64)
Fishfur is a glorious beacon of light
Default how quickly do mystery snails grow ?

Just wondering if anyone knows roughly how fast these snails grow. I have maybe two dozen hatchlings, from at least two or three spawns. The oldest ones are no more than 20 days old, with the largest ones up to about a quarter inch size. The youngest ones are about a week old and vary from the size of a sesame seed to about 1/8th inch. Clearly, they grow at varying rates.

What surprises me is how few actual hatchlings I get from a given egg mass. Some don't have any viable snails in them.

But I am wondering how long it is likely to be until they are, say, a half inch or so in size.

Last edited by Fishfur; 05-27-2012 at 09:28 PM..
Fishfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
Zebrapl3co
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (8)
Zebrapl3co will become famous soon enough

Depends on what kind of mystery snails. Mine's grow at an alarming rate if you provide unlimited food.

Last edited by Zebrapl3co; 05-29-2012 at 10:23 AM..
Zebrapl3co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
randy
Just a Shrimper

Feedback Score: (22)
randy has a spectacular aura about

How long does it take for eggs to hatch?

My first batch was laid more than 3 weeks ago and still no snail baby. And they are still pink so I think they haven't gone bad? After the first batch, I upped the feeding frequency and I now have like 5 patches of eggs now.... not sure what to do with them all if they hatch and I have to redo the tank in about a week....
Old 05-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
bmc
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (1)
bmc is on a distinguished road

mine seem to have hatched and i just noticed it myself the baby snails are really really tiny almost hard to spot...
bmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
randy
Just a Shrimper

They are like mysteries. I found some baby snails a week ago I thought they were my apply snails. But the eggs were still where they were (and still are), so not sure what they are. I don't really want to breed them but they keep laying eggs and I have to take the tank down soon... troubles.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
Fishfur
GTAA Premium Member

I have noted that about a half of all the spawns do not appear to hatch any live babies. The biggest one I got, I just happened to have the lid up and noticed the egg mass falling into the water so I grabbed it.. I know they can drown if they get wet too soon. I got about two dozen from that egg mass. Other's have provided a few, to six or so, or none at all. All of them are pink once dry and stay that way unless they fall in the water. Those that don't hatch appear to be full of clear gooey stuff when I break them open.

My earliest hatchlings are about a quarter inch now.. the youngest are not much more than a big grain of sand. I put them all in a used algae culture bottle for a few days and they cleaned it almost spotless in two days time. So they sure do eat, given the chance. I kind of wonder if they ever stop growing ?
Old 06-01-2012, 12:39 AM   #7
randy
Just a Shrimper

But how long does it take to hatch? The first batch I have is almost 4 weeks and still nothing hatched. And eggs are still pink and no sign of fungus or going bad.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
Fishfur
GTAA Premium Member

Near as I can tell, if you have not seen any hatchlings after about ten days you are not going to. Most of the egg masses I've had that have produced live young have done so less than ten days after being laid. Three masses started to come off the hood after less than a week, and when I broke them open there was nothing inside them but a gooey gel like substance. No dead baby snails.. just goo. So I think that at least a percentage of the spawnings appear to be sterile, but why I'm sure I could not say.

I think all my snails spawned once, and all of them did so within a couple of weeks time. Since then, no more eggs, so I think they must do it on some sort of cycle. I should start keeping notes when the next ones show up, to get a better idea of timing.

But today I got some new snails, so maybe I'll get more eggs soon. I got some blue or black ones, not sure 'til I see them up close, and a gorgeous burgundy one.. he's dark purple with a burgundy/brown shell, really pretty. The others have shells that look ivory, maybe, but with the dark bodies inside it's hard to say what colour the shells truly are. Once they start climbing the glass I'll have a better idea what they look like. Aquatic Kingdom has a bunch of nice ones just now, in several colours, $2. ea.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #9
randy
Just a Shrimper

Thanks Karen for the info. My son checks the eggs everyday... it's his snails so I only feed bad because he is disappointed everyday. I have now at least 6 patches of apple snail eggs and I guess none of them will hatch. Maybe I only got females? It's okay though, I won't have a tank for them and they will compete with shrimps for food and they likely will always win ;-)
Old 06-06-2012, 12:16 AM   #10
Pamelajo
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (13)
Pamelajo will become famous soon enough

mystery snail eggs or pomecea diffusa eggs can take up to a month to hatch sometimes a little over. It all depends on the temperature. They will start to look moldy and that means they are viable. Mine usually hatch around the 3 rd to 4th.
For more info www.applesnail.net has a ton:
Quote:
How long does it take for the eggs to hatch?
The eggs of apple snail hatch between 2 and 4 weeks, depending on the temperature and the species. More info about this subject can be found at the Care section of this site.
'Care' section and 'Quick guide' section.

Last edited by Pamelajo; 06-06-2012 at 12:25 AM..
Pamelajo is offline   Reply With Quote