GTA Aquarium Forums banner

Jimmyjam's "The phallic" modified iwagumi

26K views 110 replies 28 participants last post by  Yann 
#1 · (Edited)
Jimmyjam's "The phallus" modified iwagumi

Just putting the nice pics at the top, what ever happened to this contest.

As stated, a iwagumi is renders its concept around 1 main phallic piece of rock, with 2 adjacent rocks bowing to the phallic symbol. I have managed to find the perfect piece for this scape. I am going to modify the scape to bring in a few mor elements that will add to the over effect of the natural scape. Hope you all enjoy this ride. I think it will be one I will be putting a lot of effort into. Thanks again to all the mods and sponsors for us local guys to showcase some of our stuff. GL everyone.

This is the main rock I am working with, the rest will come.
Here are some stats

Tank: 15 gallon open top, rimless tank

Lighting: 3x 23 watt daylight CP spirals

Substrate: fluval stratum : this is my first time using this, Im not a huge fan of the large granules. ADA is def better size for planting. Lets see how it fairs on growth.

Substrate ferts: I usually use azoo slow releasing, but I decided to go with Aquainspiration's substrate fert.

Rocks: Ontario base rocks from many fishing trips that I take. I also purchased the 3 main ones from Big als. They are very similar to ADA ones.

See less See more
#2 ·
I like the name already :3 can't wait to see more. The strip tease of the tanks.

#5 ·
hottonia palustris, it will be my showcase plant when it grows in a bit. also going to add a few more plants, and not sure about the hc on the island. I might change that to rotala species and have it thick.. then again I dont want to take away from the Iwagumi. what do you guys think?

#8 ·
Thanks man.. Hope it turns out like I picture it in my head. Theres a few more branches to add with some cool moss, but I will wait a while until some of the plants are grown in.

I find this soil to be a bit easy to mess up. Itss I guess lighter than ADA, so a bit harder to keep some of the plants down, but manageable non the less.

Clips: yess, thanks man, Dollarama baby! But I think I might end up hanging the light or some how elevating the clip.. I want some of my moss and branches that I will be adding to stick out of the tank.

#23 ·
Yup Its rimpless, I actually might build something to hang the lights eventually, but as of now... extra iron (they say stainless steel but the sucker has iron oxide all over it) =). With that being said, I have used this setup for about 1.5 yrs with no ill effects on my green/cherry shrimps and cardinals. I hope it wont effect my oebt. Man I just checked the tank today, and boy is it ever clear... +11 for the fluval, I think its doing extra cleaning with the substrate circulation. I ll take pics tomorrow.

I also added some diy co2 for now, while waiting for me tank tomorrow. The hilton gets it for 90 bucks from coke.. cant go wrong with that.

#26 ·
Slightly off-topic here but speaking of coke, coca cola, I've heard that the powdered bulk form on the bags there are warning signs with corrosive signs on the bag. Think you can check on that if you're in the beverage/lounge room next time? I heard of that from somewhere before on the radio and I can't remember the whole chat but I think the warnings was because of the high concentration of the formula when not mixed to the correct ratio of carbonated water.

#31 ·
Its my 75 gallon, plant growout/sale/trade tank. I have blyxa japonica, e tennelus, and crypt sp torpica going in pots there, also Didiplis diandra, hemianthus microanthemoids, hair grass, rotala sp green, all ready to sell. 4 bucks a bunch, or 5 bucks for potted.

#32 ·
So I decided to use some of my fissidans. This time I decided to super glue some on to that rock in the front of the scape. I also have glues some of it to large pieces of gravel. I will use those in odd places such as the river bank on the right to have some contrast from the rockscape. Here is some pics of what I have done. It just needs time to grow out now.

#35 ·
lol will do man!

Beijing.. Super glue is awesome.. I use it for everything ... and I do mean Everything. I even superglued a wrestlers eye when it was bleeding out too much once.. worked like a charm =P

So do you guys prefer aquascapingworld over APC? I was just curious.. I havent signed up for Aquascaping world yet

#38 ·
So do you guys prefer aquascapingworld over APC? I was just curious.. I havent signed up for Aquascaping world yet
I'm the reverse, no APC, but Aquascaping World. Everybody over at AW is about pretty pictures and the forum generally lacks any discussion of substance. That said, it is a good forum to see what's going on around the world. Some awesome stuff from South American, Eastern Europe, Spain, and obviously East Asia. A handful of the posters participate in the big planted tank contests so seeing some of their other works or works in progress is worth while.

#37 ·
lol i thought they were the same thing.. and the shrimp one is the shrimp stratum.. either or, I think the names are pretty weak show =p Im using the flora one,, have you used it with crs or blue tigers yet?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.