DIY sump - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > DIY
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

DIY Show us what you've made! Questions, tips and guides on how to do it all yourself!

Old 01-12-2016, 03:42 PM   #1
marty_5555

Feedback Score: (3)
marty_5555 is on a distinguished road
Default DIY sump

Hey, I'm thinking about building my own 15-20g sump and have a couple of questions.
1) where is a good place to get the baffles cut?
2) for those who have made one before, what roughly is the cost? Is it significant enough of a difference from a previous made one to warrant the effort?
Thanks!
marty_5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2016, 06:09 PM   #2
darcyr
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (19)
darcyr is on a distinguished road

Im going to jump in on this thread because im thinking of building my own 40g sump upgrading from a 20 long. From my understanding you can just cut the acrylic yourself with a special tool. Melevs reef also sells kits for around $60
darcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:55 PM   #3
tom g
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (79)
tom g is a splendid one to behold tom g is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to tom g
Default sump

hey there for a 15 gal sump its a good idea to make your own, since u are not dealing with much room basically a skimmer and a return pump ..so it would involve one section , u can get your glass cut at any glass place may help to tell your location some may have a store in your area if u are in scarb there is a glass place on midland and Lawrence area not sure of the name but they have the glass and will cut , just make sure u are dead on with measurements .using acrylic has its ups and downs some say the silicone does not stick to the glass ,I have done it this way with no issues other then in one panel the silicone is coming apart .. melevs reef is a great place to research sumps good luck
tom

hippo tang , yellow tang, 1 damsel ,flame hawk (favorite ),watchman goby ,harlequin star fish (hides boring ) bi -color blenny,cleaner wrasse , bengai cardinal,twin spot goby, mandarin .
sand sifting star fish ,
elusive marine betta(MIA - shows him self periodically -boring )

in progress TBA.....project tranquility ............

90 gallon dual drilled tank with sump
vertex 100-in
2 - evergrow leds ,dual t5 48" aquatic life fixture
tom g is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2016, 09:14 PM   #4
Ephemeral

Feedback Score: (4)
Ephemeral is on a distinguished road

Bump!

How did your sump build work out? Any lessons learned about the glass cutting? What was the price and where did you get it?
Ephemeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:02 PM   #5
Lorano
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (0)
Lorano is on a distinguished road

If any of you want an already made acrylic sump and save yourself time and effort (although I do like diy projects, they make the hobby more fun because of the learning curve and experimentation) I have a beautiful 4ft acrylic sump with 4 compartments and 2 bubble traps if I remember right. Its about 19" wide and 18" tall. Its drilled for an external pump but that can easily and cheaply be plugged for an internal return pump. Asking $100 FIRM for it, probably worth hundreds more new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160616_175514.jpg (169.8 KB, 86 views)
Lorano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:38 PM   #6
riggles17
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (5)
riggles17 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorano View Post
If any of you want an already made acrylic sump and save yourself time and effort (although I do like diy projects, they make the hobby more fun because of the learning curve and experimentation) I have a beautiful 4ft acrylic sump with 4 compartments and 2 bubble traps if I remember right. Its about 19" wide and 18" tall. Its drilled for an external pump but that can easily and cheaply be plugged for an internal return pump. Asking $100 FIRM for it, probably worth hundreds more new.
That's a gorgeous acrylic sump you have there bud. Definitely worth more than $100 any day of the week. Materials alone would be more than that!
riggles17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:23 PM   #7
coldmantis
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (81)
coldmantis is just really nice

Since its a small tank. you can try to use window pane glass. maybe visit a window place and ask for some scrap window glass. Then go to princess auto or home depot and get yourself a glass cutter which should be around the 5 dollar mark.

Here is one i made using window panes for a 20g high tank for my wifes goldfish tank

This is my 30g long salt sump

Last edited by coldmantis; 01-25-2017 at 09:27 PM..
coldmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:21 PM   #8
carl
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (13)
carl has a spectacular aura about

If you want to do some work for me, I can build your sump in trade

Last edited by carl; 01-25-2017 at 10:24 PM..
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:46 PM   #9

Feedback Score: (0)
45217 is on a distinguished road
Default 4ft 55g sump I made

I got 7 peices of 7mm glass cut here in cornwall for 35$ Designed by myself and then all glued into place
45217 is offline   Reply With Quote