GTA Aquarium Forums banner

I need fishie friends

24K views 49 replies 29 participants last post by  tom g 
#1 ·
Okay. I recently became a fish fanatic [I mean, I got a 2.5 gallon in May and quickly realized I had to go bigger and now I'm at a 20 gallon. I have no space to go any bigger, much to my disappointment] It's like a drug addiction, only waaay better for your health [not so much your wallet.]

Anyway. I have no friends to gossip, babble, rant or brag about my tank with. My boyfriend officially thinks I have a problem and is trained only to put X amount of food into the tank when asked. I want to discuss and talk about my fishies!

What do you have in your tank? How big is your tank? Lets chat! I am seriously needing to cure my fish bone.

#2 ·
Hello and Welcome to the forum
Good people on here and good advice for the asking
Are you keeping fresh or salt ? Both ?
I might suggest that you post a thread about a specific subject that you are interested in and I'm sure that you will start to get some good feedback and make some fish connections !

#3 ·
welcome aboard

Welcome to the forum u are a prime canidate to be called a fish head
now do tell us what u got and remember pics or its not true...
look forward to hearing from ya...

#4 ·
Hello!

I've got a bit of a strange freshwater setup right now.
I have a 20 gallon tank, a marineland heater, a penguin bio-wheel 150 filter. I've got anubias, lutea crypt, mondo grass [although I'm not sure how much longer it'll stick around] and some form of hydrocotyle. I've got a small piece of malaysian driftwood and several rocks.

I've got five harlequin rasboras, a variatus platy female, an ottocinclus, an amano shrimp, a male betta [who is incredibly friendly towards all his tank mates and has never taken a swipe at anyone] and a bristlenose pleco who is an inch in length and will eventually throw me over the edge in terms of stocking which I will have to deal with.

I am dealing with a bit of fin rot on my beautiful betta from my previous tank and he's healing very very slowly in a QT tank with aquarium salt treatments. I am not sure if he's healing or not, I really wish I did. There is webbing starting in the bits that were lost, so perhaps?

Anyway - that is my tank at the moment! I really am still new and learning things as I go, trying my best not to hurt anything or anyone in the process. :)

#5 ·
I've got five harlequin rasboras, a variatus platy female, an ottocinclus, an amano shrimp, a male betta [who is incredibly friendly towards all his tank mates and has never taken a swipe at anyone] and a bristlenose pleco who is an inch in length and will eventually throw me over the edge in terms of stocking which I will have to deal with.
Nah, you should be fine. What kind of lighting are you using?

#6 ·
Oh my! I come to warn you not to get any inverts as it would cause even deeper addiction an you admit to having amano! You're lost, I mean seriously no help for you, you're doomed to become a part of this fish cult for a looong time...

And btw. welcome here at forum :)

#7 ·
Wait until you get a taste of saltwater. Right now your on a gateway drug. I'm sure you think you can control your addiction right now and you just might be able too. But once you get into the salt it's like jumping to Herion. lol I've been hooked since late last year and now I get twitches if I'm away from it for too long. Lol gad damn!!!!

Good luck and have fun

#8 ·
It's awful. I've managed to calm down a bit at the moment, but I have to praise myself every time I walk out of a pet store without a fish. I am already thinking ahead to the next generation of fish to dwell in my tank - I think I'll go with some semi-aggressive fellahs! A pearl gourami (seriously, so in love) and some green tiger barbs.. oh man, I am getting ahead of myself. For now, I love my peaceful dwellers and friendly betta fish.

I am staying away from salt. I feel like that would be my heroin. 100%. A friend of mine is all about reef tanks and I see those and die a little inside.

#9 ·
addiction

it will happen , first it will be the passive nice fish then the aggressive fish
then the planted tank and then the brackish fish tank ... u are half way there lol then it will happen .... wham right on the side of the head then u get to be a reefer just like us ...
cheers
tom

#10 ·
Agreed, inverts are dangerous! I started in March and now have two tanks running, and a third one being set up in January. All shrimp!

Welcome to the forum. Lots of great people and information here :)

#12 ·
Welcome to our world :) Fish keeping is definitely a great hobby and relaxing too. I am a long time Betta owner/breeder and Shrimpaholic :D

OH YEAH...I started with a little 5 gallon with some cherry shrimps I won at an auction one year, and from there I think Ive now owned every kind of dwarf freshwater shrimp in the Industry.

Bred them, imported them, shown them....even tried to get out of them....
Im now back into them again bigtime. :eek:

They are one of the most addictive creatures on the earth, you can sit and watch what goes on in your tank for hours on end, its better than TV.

Ask as many questions on fish, plants, accessories, meds, what not on here and someone will help you out. Great Forum

#15 ·
welcome!

and dont get me started on addictions... -__- as a student, owning multiple tanks has been a penny pinching, hunger games, little sleep addiction it seems. hahaha

#19 ·
Welcome to the forum, it better to be fish addict then a drug addict for sure. I am a fish addict since the of age seven, 50years have past still very addicted. I started with gold fish then onto discus, now crazy for reef. All my money I spent on fishy stuff. I will die as a fish addict.

#20 ·
i guess the big question is where you are located... theres always a fish store nearby to find someone to chat too... lol

#24 ·
It's like a drug addiction, only waaay better for your health [not so much your wallet.]
Ah want addiction level aquaria that will absolutely pummel your wallet. go salt. Salt tanks are amazing and very expensive.

#27 ·
we have an aquarium club in north york region as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.