Eheim 2217/2215 Impeller Shaft Emergency Fix - Field Test - Page 2 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > DIY
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

DIY Show us what you've made! Questions, tips and guides on how to do it all yourself!

Old 01-31-2017, 12:38 PM   #11
BillD
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (1)
BillD is a splendid one to behold BillD is a splendid one to behold

Interesting thread. I just wonder if you would be able to use a TIG welding rod, of 3/32" diameter. Unless the Eheim shafts are actually designed to contact the impeller, I would think they might work. With Fluval/AC impellers, the shaft doesn't contact the impeller. There is supposed to be a layer of water between shaft and impeller, that acts as a lubricant and coolant.
BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2017, 02:41 PM   #12
Cyberlord
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (4)
Cyberlord is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Interesting thread. I just wonder if you would be able to use a TIG welding rod, of 3/32" diameter. Unless the Eheim shafts are actually designed to contact the impeller, I would think they might work. With Fluval/AC impellers, the shaft doesn't contact the impeller. There is supposed to be a layer of water between shaft and impeller, that acts as a lubricant and coolant.
The 3/32" would be too thin I think. The rod in the eheim does have some space for water lubrication and but is "tight" enough to keep the magnet from wobbling too much and touching the sides of the impeller hole housing. Plus then you would not be able to use the existing rubber bushings as the holes would be too big....too much wobbling all around.

If TIG SS rods come in 3mm, then we're in business!
Cyberlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy , eheim , filter , fix , impeller