GTA Aquarium Forums banner

For sale thread recommendations.

4K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  teemee 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

A number of members have suggested we prevent anyone other than the creator of a thread in the for sale sections from posting on their threads. They feel there is far too much needless comments and thread crapping that is hindering their sale. In some cases I agree 100%.

I ask all members to provide their comments below on whether you are for or against this and what your reasons are.
--
Thanks...Paul
The Mod Team

#3 · (Edited)
The way I see it is if I post an item for sale at an unreasonable price and someone points out that it is unreasonable I will get pissed off but the newbie has been saved from being taken advantage of.

I think as long as discussion is done in a respectful manor it only serves the community.

I am free to post items for sale at any price I want but I also want the freedom(though I doubt I would actually exercise it) to warn others away from a rip-off.

I don't like the idea of limiting discussion and encouraging accountability.

Comments like " Great seller " are just as helpful as comments like " this is available brand new for cheaper " in my opinion.

#4 ·
The way I see it is if I post an item for sale at an unreasonable price and someone points out that it is unreasonable I will get pissed off but the newbie has been saved from being taken advantage of.

I think as long as discussion is done in a respectful manor it only serves the community.

I am free to post items for sale at any price I want but I also want the freedom(though I doubt I would actually exercise it) to warn others away from a rip-off.

I don't like the idea of limiting discussion and encouraging accountability.
Agreed. The way I see it, this is a case of a vocal minority and a silent majority.

Limiting comments on the for sale section would make that section just another classifieds, and removes one of the things that make this forum unique, namely community feedback.

In any community, it is far better for members to be restrained by etiquette than by rules.

Just like in real life, there will always be times when we are unhappy with another person's comments or opinion. The solution is to take a deep breath and simply walk away, not to get on a soapbox and start ranting about how people should not be making comments that displeases you.

If you look at the for sale thread that started this, you can clearly see that the other member was no way trying to "threadcrap" and was simply asking the seller to post a clarification.

#5 ·
Haven't we been down this road, or am I thinking of a different forum?

Some great points made already. I agree we should alow commenting by all.

Deal with the bad apples one by one - if you truly feel a reply is off mark or untrue report it to a mod who has the authority to remove the post, and if need be take action against the poster.

#9 ·
maybe if someone is posting items for sale with great frequency Charge them a fee after a cap limit?

If you don't like how its done here kijiji won't allow thread crapping

I think its more offensive when someone posts a for sale thread and has a long diatribe about how they will not put up with this or that or whatever they decide to post.

I find it offensive and guess what. I would never think of buying anything off you. It appears that you are warning people that you are a hard person to deal with.

Actually you might be doing us a favour :rolleyes:

#10 ·
I'm also a member of PN Aquaria which is not so much a Forum but more of a classifieds site for fish-keepers and they give you the option to disable comments so the OP can decide whether they want feedback or not.

Keep the comments for or against coming but please don't post anything that has nothing to do with this topic or it will be deleted.
--
Thanks...Paul

#13 ·
Nothing is wrong with the way its.

People need to practice common sense. People seem to be under the impression that sellers are obligated to sell their items like they are running a store. Your buying used equipment know what your and buying and what the value is. It's not up to the seller to baby anyone to sell an item at reduced cost.

Sellers need to be up front with the condtion of the equipment and what they want to get for it that's all.

#14 ·
Point

Not saying there's anything wrong with the
Way it is my point is the people who choose to open mouthand type .that affects people's sales .I'm not about hiding or not revealing something ..I would just appreciate a comment in pm rather then saying something negative
To affect a sale or opinion....

#15 ·
Hi,
My name is Ron Stein. I am new here but been in the marine hobby for almost 50 years.
I have recently upgraded my 6ft tank to led lights. On Friday, I put my ATI 60" 6x80w stainless steel fixture + bulbs for sale on your buy&sell hardware forum at a firm price of $400. So far approx. 80 views but no PM's.
If u don't mind, do u have any suggests about my wording/pictures/price that u think would improve my chances of sale? Do you have any idea if my price is too high. Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks, Ron Stein (North York, Toronto)

#16 ·
It seems to me that a majority of the comments in for sale posts are to let the seller know that a PM has been sent. This just clutters the thread and keeps making old threads look new. I also don't need to see the haggling that goes on.

Would it be great if people followed the rules/guidelines? Sure, but I don't think you can rely on that happening and who wants to constantly police members?

So overall I think I'd like to see how things go by preventing others from posting. I assume the change could be undone if it turns out there are unexpected results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.