led lighting for 60 gallon cube?? - Page 2 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Tanks, stands, heaters, filters, and all your favourite aquarium hardware in one place. Discuss.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:05 AM   #11
tom g
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (79)
tom g is a splendid one to behold tom g is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to tom g
Default u get what u pay for ....

well I am a firm believer of this term.... but I have three over 3 tanks and I am getting wicked growth.. yes I do believe that had I had the cash to spend 1200 bucks each I would , but to get me started I got the Chinese leds and the sufficed me just might fine .. remember its not all about money and yes u get what u pay for ...not understanding how u think the lights would jepordize the animals in tanks ....

hippo tang , yellow tang, 1 damsel ,flame hawk (favorite ),watchman goby ,harlequin star fish (hides boring ) bi -color blenny,cleaner wrasse , bengai cardinal,twin spot goby, mandarin .
sand sifting star fish ,
elusive marine betta(MIA - shows him self periodically -boring )

in progress TBA.....project tranquility ............

90 gallon dual drilled tank with sump
vertex 100-in
2 - evergrow leds ,dual t5 48" aquatic life fixture
tom g is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2016, 10:15 AM   #12
sohal tang
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (1)
sohal tang is on a distinguished road
Talking get what you pay for

Hi Tom,

I am not saying the cheap LED lights will hurt the animals...just the one that I used or *pair* that I used on my 280 gallon 8ft tank would not grow corals worth a darn...in fact I *lost* corals using them... The minute I switched them out my corals bounced back almost over night...it was incredible growth difference... I am just saying I believe truly that you get what you pay for in life and its the same with lights for our reefs... You can pay now or you can pay later... Having said that I bought the cheap imitation kessil Nelo lights and I love them..so *YOU CAN* save money...but...even those were 300 per light plus tax on sale. Perhaps post some pics of your reefs you have growing under the cheaper LED lights...perhaps we can all learn a lesson on costing.? Proof really is in the pudding etc...
Cheers,
Have a Happy New Year
Tim
sohal tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:47 AM   #13
tom g
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (79)
tom g is a splendid one to behold tom g is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to tom g
Default proof in the pudding ...

I am not disagreeing with u but there is always buts....

I will post some pics ...when I get a chance

there are many variations of the "cheap Chinese leds "
I purchased mine from reefsupplies .
there is a huge thread on reef central about good and bad on these lights
some love em , some hate em .... some are growing like crazy ..
I believe there are ways to make things work.
now 3 years ago when I ordered my leds , there were no knock offs of kessils
lights have come along way and the Chinese market keeps getting better .
now that said if u order from these ebay places u prob will get a one year warranty don't know what its like to collect on them , I know when I had probs with mine from reefsupplies they were repaired with no issues ..
other then that no issues at all ...
anyways have a great day

hippo tang , yellow tang, 1 damsel ,flame hawk (favorite ),watchman goby ,harlequin star fish (hides boring ) bi -color blenny,cleaner wrasse , bengai cardinal,twin spot goby, mandarin .
sand sifting star fish ,
elusive marine betta(MIA - shows him self periodically -boring )

in progress TBA.....project tranquility ............

90 gallon dual drilled tank with sump
vertex 100-in
2 - evergrow leds ,dual t5 48" aquatic life fixture
tom g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:57 AM   #14
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (95)
default is a splendid one to behold default is a splendid one to behold

Nothing wrong with cheaper LEDs, I've used a few not primarily for growing corals, but to try and they are pretty decently built nowadays and like Tom said, there are different brands and variations - there are always going to be totally terrible makes, goes for anything in life.

I've seen tanks with 'cheap' (lets be honest, nothing is cheap in this hobby) LEDs that could grow almost anything, but they do lack some features you wouldn't get in premium brands, but it's really up to the user's budget and goals. If you have the budget nothing beats Ecotech, Kessils, AIs, and whatever the newest toys are, the controllability is fantastic. Just recently picked up two Kessils for a Paludarium build and they are fantastic units. However, my personal preference for a reef would be AIs, the integrated Wi-Fi is what appeals to me the most.
default is offline   Reply With Quote