Pond in GTA in winter? - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Ponds
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ponds Show off your outdoor ponds and all things swimming in them!

Old 07-13-2016, 10:38 PM   #1
sir.tie
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (0)
sir.tie is on a distinguished road
Default Pond in GTA in winter?

Forgive me as this is new to me but how do you handle harsh cold long winters? Do you heat it up or just let it freeze? I like the idea of having one in the backyard

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
sir.tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2016, 01:36 PM   #2
darkangel66n
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (21)
darkangel66n is a jewel in the rough

In order to keep fish in a pond all winter, the pond must be deeper then the frost line. That is around 36" here, so you want 40 or more inches of depth. Otherwise you will need to bring them inside.
darkangel66n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:37 PM   #3
sir.tie
Up-and-comer

sir.tie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangel66n View Post
In order to keep fish in a pond all winter, the pond must be deeper then the frost line. That is around 36" here, so you want 40 or more inches of depth. Otherwise you will need to bring them inside.
Interesting. Do you need to open / break ice so that they can get oxygen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir.tie View Post
Forgive me as this is new to me but how do you handle harsh cold long winters? Do you heat it up or just let it freeze? I like the idea of having one in the backyard

sir.tie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2016, 06:22 PM   #4
mokrytzki

mokrytzki is on a distinguished road

48" deep or deeper is ideal. Also running an air bubbler is a must. It oxygenates the water and prevents the surface from completely freezing over. Oxygen exchange cannot occur if it is completely frozen.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
mokrytzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:09 PM   #5
carl
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (13)
carl has a spectacular aura about

We just put a floating heater in the pond for the winter and if it's a shallow pond we cover the top and the pond will stay ice free
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:06 PM   #6
Crayon
Trouble

Feedback Score: (26)
Crayon is a splendid one to behold Crayon is a splendid one to behold

Our 20 year old pond is 36" deep and the waterfall runs all winter. We keep koi in it and they stay out all winter as well. The biggest issue is the detritus (tree leaves) that collect in the fall that lands in the pond breaks down, which pollutes the water and causes a toxic build up. Which is why open water is so important in the winter. We use a pond heater to allow the bad gases to escape and provide oxygen.
The fish go dormant around mid November and we don't feed again until spring. Each spring we do a big clean out on the pond to get rid of the organic matter in the bottom.
There isn't much more to it. Barley straw to keep algae under control and a good de chlorinator cause topping off the pond happens weekly.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:53 AM   #7
fishliqour
I'm New

fishliqour is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb diy deicer

Hi. I live close to Lake Simcoe which usually completely freezes over. Last winter, I built an insulated floating box with two 25 watt light bulbs in it and a small hole on top of it for gas exchange. I had around a foot of ice on the deep end of the pond this winter when it was cold. I found that the light box worked wonderfully. I also run air in the shallow end of my pond and we had a very mild winter last year. I plan on using my light box this year with air as well but you cant beat 50 watts of power for de-icing V/S a 1500 watt floating de-icer. I am not sure what forum I found the build on. I am not the inventor of this device but I want everyone who has a outdoor pond to build one and try it for themselves. If there is any interest let me know and I will post some pictures.

swimming with the fishes
Rick
fishliqour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:27 AM   #8
tom g
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (79)
tom g is a splendid one to behold tom g is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to tom g
Default pics

great idea pics would be great we all love diy stuff
u know what we say pics or its not true !!!!!!

hippo tang , yellow tang, 1 damsel ,flame hawk (favorite ),watchman goby ,harlequin star fish (hides boring ) bi -color blenny,cleaner wrasse , bengai cardinal,twin spot goby, mandarin .
sand sifting star fish ,
elusive marine betta(MIA - shows him self periodically -boring )

in progress TBA.....project tranquility ............

90 gallon dual drilled tank with sump
vertex 100-in
2 - evergrow leds ,dual t5 48" aquatic life fixture
tom g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:44 PM   #9
trailblazer295
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (11)
trailblazer295 is a jewel in the rough

General guidelines is 3' for goldfish and 4-5' for koi. You'll need a method of keeping a opening in the ice, some use heaters they also make a dome shape hooked to a water pump to create enough surface movement to prevent freezing. Once the water temp drops below 15c fish metabolism slows down and colder they will hibernate. Average pond season is 6 months. Pond season doesn't usually start until Victoria day. In my few years having a pond before moving it seemed to hold true having consistent temperatures of above 15. I certainly miss mine.
trailblazer295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:56 AM   #10
jsic37
Up-and-comer

jsic37 is on a distinguished road
Default Fish outside

My pond is six feet deep in the center so there is plenty of room for my koi to hibernate. I guy in Michigan that I follow on Instagram has his koi pond at 4 feet deep and assures me that he has never had a problem. I keep the pump running and I throw 6 air stones in the pond and keep them running steady. So long as the koi have fattened up enough and there is enough oxygen, you shouldn't have a problem.
jsic37 is offline   Reply With Quote