GTA Aquarium Forums banner

lakeshore aquarium???

12K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  lexxajett 
#1 ·
Anybody been here yet? I keep seeing it on classifieds....

Just want to hear if this place is worth the drive

Discuss...

#2 ·
Anybody been here yet? I keep seeing it on classifieds....

Just want to hear if this place is worth the drive

Discuss...
i drove there from hamilton and IMO it was not worth it, its a flower shop with maybe 10-15 tanks that looks grimey as hell also the guy just makes up his prices when you ask, the sizes of fishes he advertises on kijiji is very generous to say the least

#7 ·
I know people that have gone and were very disappointed. Calvus in ad are $15 and become $40 when you get there. The ones for $15 are tiny.

I called once to ask about aulonocara and all they knew was they had red ones and blue ones. They don't know very much at all regarding species.

I emailed asking about an ad for a Red Empress and 10 minutes later, same ad was changed to a beta, lol.

#8 ·
I've never been but I sold some fish via pricenetwork or gtaa and posted pictures/videos of the fish that I was selling. Couple of days later, I saw an ad on kijiji by lakeshore aquarium with the exact same pic/video that I had captured of my tank, hahahaa...

I am curious whether the person I sold the fish to is the owner of lakeshore aquarium.

#11 ·
Most pics in their ads are from the Internet. They spam kijiji with a dozen or so ads and none of them have prices. When you call for prices they are ridiculously high and I bet look nothing like the ad pictures.

I know a few guys now that went and found the place a complete joke. You can never get a straight answer for price. They should stick to flowers.

#12 ·
I have been there and I was surprised that it was a flower shop. The tanks were definitely not dingy while I was there at all. As was previously stated there's a wall of tanks maybe a dozen. There is also 5 or 6 more tanks that are kit tanks with fish in them. When I was there in the middle of January. Another tank rack was being built, so if I were going there today I would expect it to be complete and stocked. I guess if it is not done things aren't going well.
His pricing was on the spot, but I felt was pretty low tbh. I bought 4 petricola and got them for 5$. I like finatics, but there 19.99$. That's 4 time the price so I can't say that's bad. Saying that overall finatics can't be beat.
I think if this place ends up with another rack of tanks and ends up with double the variety he had when I was there. I t would be a good little shop forsure.

#15 ·
Fish that are juiced, when do colours disappear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 · (Edited)
All depends when they were juiced, but within a few months. Most likely F10?? or more and the colour strain is gone from inbreeding. The fish end up colourless like females.

Those 3 videos are classic juiced peacocks. One tell tale is a tank full of 3.0" male peacocks and all have brilliant colour they are juiced. Usually, with unjuiced peacocks 1 or 2 will have true colour and the rest will stay subdominant. When the coloured ones are removed, others will step up to become dominant with colour. Remove them and the cycle repeats itself. But a tank full of them is never going to happen

#17 ·
So if you're buying just regular tropical fish and not Africans, let's say cardinal tetras, does it matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 ·
http://www.duzzee.ca/deal/Lakeshore_Aquarium_Poor_Feedback_Please_Read-344684.html

Here's the thread from Duzzee on Lakeshore Aquarium. Apparently these guys are going around to various hobbyists in the GTA, lowballing them for their fish, then selling those fish at 4-5X markup. Not only that, they claim that they are not buying the fish for their store, but rather to restock the wife's tank which was 'wiped out by the ice storm'.

One member from both Duzzee and GTAA was selling some cyprichromis and these Lakeshore idiots came to his house and refused to buy them because the females didn't have any color. Retards.

I suggest that we all go down and picket the store, or go into the store in a group of 20 and give the guy shit. Make him feel really unwelcome in the industry. Maybe he'll stop.

Regardless, like I was saying on Duzzee, cichlids are a hobbyists fish. Without us, there's no major market for cichlids. His business will dry up and fizzle out soon enough. There are some noobs out there who don't know what juiced fish or clueless staff look like but there are enough of us in the know to put this clown out of business.

Oh and they stole Mike from Finatics' business card design. Totally ripped it off. Just changed the lettering.

#20 ·
Nothing you or any one else does will change this persons business ethic. Slimy business people will always be just that. I hate to tell you this but the uninformed far out number those in the know and he will likely have an endless stream of new people to take advantage of. It is sad but true. I was speaking with Mike at Finatics last night and one of their customers came to his store and told him how crappy his fish were compared to Lakeshore. That speaks volumes about people and what they perceive.

#24 ·
Owner admitted the 2-3" Peacocks in many of the tanks are from Taiwan and are juiced with hormones.
We knew that already. The fact that the owner admitted it is further evidence of his lack of common sense.

There should be some sort of LFS standards comission that goes around and certifies LFS in the GTA. If you don't make the cut, you get shut down.

#26 ·
When i was at lakeshore/Mississauga aquarium I asked to see a fish priced at 20 dollars he told his customer to go help me? Talk about lazy! he would not even help he told his customer to "GO see what he want" The fish was priced at 20 I wanted it. I doubled checked the species. The customer agreed on the species and price listed. Then the owner came. Said yes that is the species listed but the price is wrong the price is double! So i just walked away. Worst experience ever.

There is a lot of drama going on about stuff on their facebook review page some unhappy customers that only went in once.

THe thing is they have AMAZING DISCUSS AND FLOWERHORNS! The vendor for those is here if they can go direct to vendor or find another place that carries the same quality. HIs discuss is what i think makes him stay in business.

Can we put the title of this thread to Mississauga aquarium?

#27 ·
"he told his customer to go help me?"
...mmmm are you sure it wasnt his staff? He has plained clothed staff yknow lol.

Been to mississauga aquarium a few times, the younger guy is helpful (im assuming hes the son of the owner) and honest, refused to sell fish that i wanted due to illness he suspected

And every store has negative reviews on facebook, some legit but most are just miserable people looking to vent their misplaced anger.

When i was at lakeshore/Mississauga aquarium I asked to see a fish priced at 20 dollars he told his customer to go help me? Talk about lazy! he would not even help he told his customer to "GO see what he want" The fish was priced at 20 I wanted it. I doubled checked the species. The customer agreed on the species and price listed. Then the owner came. Said yes that is the species listed but the price is wrong the price is double! So i just walked away. Worst experience ever.

There is a lot of drama going on about stuff on their facebook review page some unhappy customers that only went in once.

THe thing is they have AMAZING DISCUSS AND FLOWERHORNS! The vendor for those is here if they can go direct to vendor or find another place that carries the same quality. HIs discuss is what i think makes him stay in business.

Can we put the title of this thread to Mississauga aquarium?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.