GTA Aquarium Forums banner

I'm sure this is not your typical planted tank :)

15K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  svtcontour 
#1 ·
...its the best I can do to keep plants alive. I prefer tanks that are not too brightly light up because I suspect that in the fish's natural habitat, the sun does not shine so bright in the water. Anyway this is the setup and I think the fish like it :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Okay I have been looking at the tank pictures for quite a while and I like it. The chaos of the roots in the water contrasts nicely with the pothos ivy growing on the outside. It has a very natural look about it. The fish must never get bored swimming and playing together amongst all of the roots. The tank water probably is pristine with the ivy taking in a lot of nutrients. The ivy also purifies the air in the room as well. No need for co2 injection to grow plants as it is already in the air and water. Algae would be non existent. A very low maintenance tank and plant - just add water. :)

#6 ·
Wow you were bang on with everything you said. Impressive :)

The fish do love it, they dart through the roots while chasing each other (mostly the congos) and I can tell they like doing that as they could easily just go where there are no roots but they shoot straight for them.

Water quality has gotten way better since the plants went in and of course I dont need any crazy lighting to keep them alive (only a single 40w flourescent is enough) and like you said, not a spec of algae :) Incredibly low maintenance.

PS. The plants I've had for about 5 years. There are more of them in my 47 gallon...I had to take some out of this tank because it was getting to be too much :)

#7 ·
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I really like doing the tanks this way..for about 5-6 years I've been doing this and it makes the water quality much better. You dont need to add this many plants to keep the water quality good either, I just like the look of it this way. I find even a single vine helps tons :)

#8 ·
Great tank! Second thing to come to mind is that it would make a great shrimp tank. With all of those roots twisting around you give them lots of space to graze and not be in a constant territory battle. Also, the excellent water clarity gives you a better view of your creatures.

This sure beats having duckweed for the "I have no algae because I also have plants that are getting CO2 from the air not just water" coefficient.

#10 ·
Thats a great idea. I might just have to get some shrimp down the road. I'm planning on getting a 220G or larger sometime later this year so once I do that, I'll add some shrimp. I just hope the congos and clown loach wont nibble on the little guys.

Great tank! Second thing to come to mind is that it would make a great shrimp tank. With all of those roots twisting around you give them lots of space to graze and not be in a constant territory battle. Also, the excellent water clarity gives you a better view of your creatures.

This sure beats having duckweed for the "I have no algae because I also have plants that are getting CO2 from the air not just water" coefficient.

#16 ·
Gorgeous tank. Well done, everything looks healthy, lively and beautiful!

BTW, it's not ivy, it's a philodendron (Epipremnum aureum, commonly known as pothos). Ivy is unrelated and probably would not grow like this at all, but some other aquatic plants to try might be lotus roots and arrowroot. I tried growing these in my tank before, but my fish ate them. :(

#20 ·
that is chaoticly pleasent. I have a thing for plants growing outside the tank. I have that with my cardamine lyrata, most of it grows down teh back of my tank.

#21 ·
beautiful setup, I really like the congo tetras especially when the males are darting about, In the past I did something similar w/ a more traditional planted tank w/ just an additional house plant that would grow partially submerges and emersed, it looked great and does help to clarifying the water. The only reason I took it out was too many jumping fishy, so had to put a lid on it to close off the tank. keep up the good work!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.